Centenial Edition M&H

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:34:28 -0400

Jim asks;

 >This brings me to my question, i.e. should I just install the new block in
>the same manner or should I fit and glue the block in, ala Steinway and
>Boston M&H ? In your  'opinion' will there be an improvement enough in
>stability to warrant the extra effort ?

        Many knowledgable people seem to think that the
 "string-agraffe-plate-pinblock-case-plate-string" linkage is an important
acoustical chain. Since the degree of entrainment is dependant on the unity
of components, the more unified the structure, the less wasted energy.  In
other words, you don't want anything to use string energy but the soundboard.

       The difference in sound is not going to be obvious to the bean counter
that decided on elimanating the procedure of block to case fitting, ( I bet
somebody got engineering to tell them that nothing would break, and that is
all they needed to know in order to cut out another "unneccessary" step).
     However, when you are sitting there, wondering if one more needle in the
hammer is going to help with getting some sustain, you don't want to wonder
if the block should have been more a part of the chain.

I would attach the block to the case.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works