Wurlitzer Full Metal Pinblock

SprBil@aol.com SprBil@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:38:35 -0400

> So, I went back in, because I was curious, removed the fallboard and
>  sure enough, the pinblock was metal. The tuning pins were sticking
>  out underneath and were split. A long wedge was driven into this
>  split, kind of like an axe handle wedge, and was about .5" long.
>  Looking back at the tuning pin area, I saw that there were no screws
>  going through the plate. Hmmm, interesting.
>
>  It is a Wurlitzer baby grand, # 110716 (I think, pencil numbers on
>  the front of keyframe) and has 6 legs. Should stand up better, also.
>
>  Anybody know about these?
Hi Ken,

Yes,  I've worked on one of these.  I was just as shocked as you were and
worried about tuning and stability.  I had to restring the piano because of
rust, and you can bet I re-used the same tuning pins!  A bit of a tricky job
but it turned out just fine, and the tuning is very stable even several years
later ( I tune it about once a year).

Bill Springer, RPT
Honolulu