Water Grinder/Sharpeners "Water Grinder/Sharpeners" (Sep 13, 1:05pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 23:09:49 -0400

I have a motorized water stone but use it little now.  There is a student who
is making an African marimba and has asked many questions which answered
freely.  He also is replacing the key covers on his Winter spinet because the
old ones are coming off.  I got his a set of keytops and new plastic elbows and
showed him how they work.  His comment is that everything went as I explained,
was easy because of my explainations and is delighted with his work.  He also
sharpens _anything_.

He always asked me if I want anything sharpened; chisels, scissors, scrapers,
plane irons, knives, etc.  I haven't had to sharpen anything for about two
years.

I purchased a flat dimond sharpening plate and use that to get the basic done
and then use several grades of sharpening stones to get to the final scalpel
honing stone.  I learned how to do nice chisel sharpening from Joel and
Priscilla Rapaport several years ago.

Using a grinding stone to cut a concave bevel is to make further sharpening
easier.  It contributes nothing to its usefullness.

For a beginner I would recommend using the Veritus sharpening tools.  The angle
setter and the wide roller tool holder.  This is simple quick, acurate, cost
effective and a very nicely fabricated set of tools.

Having _sharp_ tools makes using them a joy to use.

	Newton
	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu