Tuning the upper treble

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 05:51:22 -0600 (MDT)

	Dale,

	Further to changing to your left hand while tuning the higher
treble on a grand piano:

	Paul Brown, of Vancouver, BC, has an unusual approach to tuning
which he swears, eliminates back strain and arm strain while tuning. In
the high treble area of a grand piano, he uses the tuning hammer at about
the 9 o'clock position. He hooks his thumb and forefinger around the
handle and then uses the other three fingers of his left hand on a nearby
strut of the piano. He simply closes these fingers to obtain the needed
force to move the hammer and the pin.
	Paul gave me this information as one of the Twenty Techniques in
my book, DIFFERENT STROKES. However, you may want to contact him directly.
He also uses this technique in tuning uprights.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta