Pinblock

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:34:05 -0400

Ron;
"1.  Whether or not to secure the pinblock.  (this months thread)

My opinion:
 All pro and con arguments aside, when that piano gets delivered,it will have
your name on it.  You could be labeled for someone elses sloppy work.  You
could even have other technicians thinking you did it."

Ron the question was not whether or not to secure the pinblock, the pinblock
was secured by two plate screws. Rather the question was whether the block
should be reinstalled in the manner of manufacture or "improved upon" by
fitting and gluing to rim and stretcher. We can not be held liable for
manufacturers' sloppy work and if we start accepting the blame for this we
will be in deep 'kimshi' indeed. (Piano in question is an Aoelian M&H 'B'
circa 1954.)
  The reason for the question was, of course, stability of tuning and
increased power by more solid contact with the instrument case.  As for the
installation, I don't believe that most tooners would know the difference
anyway and those that did would also know that the instrument was
manufactured that way.
  I have always fitted and glued these type blocks in any quality instrument
that I have rebuilt and the results have almost always pleased me. The
question was put to the list because I never have really questioned the
efficacy of my procedure and wanted to get the comments of my colleagues.
  Ron I suppose this opens up another question, i.e. what amount of
"improving" should we embark upon when doing a rebuild ?
Jim Bryant (FL)