More Action Brackets Help VM

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:44:49 -0400

Vince;
"" Pay attetion to the action spread and let that dictate where to raise the
stack. All things being equal, which they seldom are, you might want to
consider raising the entire stack by placing glued shims under the brackets.
Jim Bryant (FL)""

"How can action spread dictate how much to raise the stack?"
vince mrykalo

Vince;
 My answer,above, loses something out of context with the way the question
was originally asked. Dr. Jim Coleman has answered most of this question of
yours but not specifically addressing action spread dictating stack height.
So I will try a specific answer.
For my answer we will assume that all is well with the keys and keyframe, and
deal strictly with the action stack. As Jim C., Sr. pointed out the optimum
position for height of the hammer rail is one that allows the hammer shank to
be parallel/level with the string at hammer contact. You may start at the
hammer shank and work backwards but I find it much more convenient to set the
action spread first and then set the height of the stack. This accomplishes
three things 1. It allows me to set the action spread without regard to other
factors, and 2. It allows me to set the action spread one time. 3. It allows
me to set the action height one time.  If the height of the action stack is
set first and then you check action spread, and decide to make changes, you
will often have to reset the height (and/or position) of the stack. So in
this sense action spread does indeed dictate action height.
    Now this is opinion and theory neither of which is foolproof. Lets say
you decided that the hammer flange rail needed to be raised a 32nd of an
inch. Would you go back and lower the stack height ? How about 1/16th ? how
about 1/8th? At some point you will have to decide to lower the stack height
and what is it that is determining that move ? I submit to you that it is the
action spread that you have decided to use.  Can you change action spread
without changing action height? yes, if you move wippens/whippens/repetitions
rather than the hammer rail and even than you 'might' need to change the
height/position.
  Vince I hope I have answered your question, if not maybe Mr. Stanwood or
someone  technically minded will jump in and straighten us both up.
Regards
Jim Bryant (FL)