More Action Brackets Help

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 00:36:15 -0400 (EDT)

At 09:27 AM 9/16/96 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>   I finally received the action brackets for the Marshall & Wendell grand
>but find that the the new ones are 1/8" lower than the old. To duplicate
>the action height, is it correct to shim under the hammer flange rail then
>bed the bracket feet to the key frame?
>   Advice one more time would be appreciated. Hopefully, this is my last
>post about this piano. Except to say, maybe, that it turned out great. :-)
>
>Avery
>
>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>Houston, TX 77204-4893
>713-743-3226
>atodd@uh.edu
>____________________________________

Just another thought here Avery:

        Along with Jim Coleman's thoughtful instructions, consider taking a
piece of thread from the balance rail pin, stretching it firmly to the
wippen center pin to see how the capstan passes through the line (if it does
at all?)  With a shorter stack, the capstans will rest at a different height
which may be advantagous.  First inclination would be to shim the whole
stack, not the hammer rail...proper consideration of the capstan placement
(through the line when depressed) may provide you with a nice
compromise...possibly shimmed half the distance from old to new. Do you have
enough distance from bottom of hammer shank to rest cushion (or hammer rest
rail)...this will give you some clue as well as the let-off buttons (screwed
all the way down?) This is all based on hammer boring is proper for your
particular instrument.  Following Jim's suggestions on touchweight (writing
it all down) will eliminate some of the choices.

Good luck, (having a hard time putting ideas into words tonight,,,sorry)