Missed appointments

UNATUNER@aol.com UNATUNER@aol.com
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:06:44 -0400

For me, a no show usually entails a double loss.  I have to eat the loss of
the expected fee, of course, but I usually kill time by going to a store and
buying something  STUPID, something that I don't need!

I was told by a lawyer friend that I must really have made an agreement with
a customer before I can leave a bill.  That is, at the time of the
appointment, I would have to say "now if you forget the appointment, Im gonna
send you a bill!)  If I did not do that in advance, I can still leave the
bill, but legally have no grounds to collect it. (The same is true with an
estimate)  Any lawyers out there to confirm this?  This is hardly a major
legal issue, but it is always good practice to come to an agreement with the
customer beforehand to avoid any sparks.  This lawyer suggested that I just
add it into my expenses and charge a little more to compensate (an answer
that I would expect from a lawyer).

But I have had just too many missed appointments and do not feel justified in
charging good customers for the sins of the bad.  I now tell a new customer
when I confirn the date, time, that the minimum charge for this time period
is $30.   If they are not home, I leave a printed letter that states that
they were informed that "the minimum....is $30" and I leave a bill.  Also in
the letter is a short form to return that states (in effect) "the minimum
charge covers only portion of the loss incurred and I the customer agree to
compensate (me) for the full expected fee up to $60 max. if  future failed
appointments occur.

If a regular customer forgets, I have another form that is a little less
harsh, but they must sign and return and acknowledge that I can give only one
free "bye"...that there will be a fee charged in the future.

If I forget, the same harsh terms apply to me.  The customer will get a $30
discount ....................on a rebuilt Steinway!

Jerry Smith  PRP