reply Re: Rental Pianos

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:02:39 -0400

Joshua:

I'll pretend it is ok to put this information on the list.

I have been renting pianos for 3 and half years, and currently have 60 pianos
out, and 20 more in stock. I base my rental fee on the retail price of the
piano, paid off over 5 years at 18% interest. The retail price is on the high
side, in that I will give a discount to someone who wants to buy it for cash.

I charge the customer for moving both ways up front. I do not get a security
deposit, and do not run a credit check. I assume that 99% of the poeple who
are interested enough to get into music, for themselves, or ther kids, are
honest. In the three and a half years, I have not lost a piano yet, although
I have had to reposes one, and the customer still owes me 4 months rent.

The contract they sign is a self renewing one, in that if they make a payment
they can keep the piano for another month. It is not a rent to own, but they
do have the option to buy. If they buy the piano, they will get credit for
the moving charge, and 100% of the first year's rent, 50% 2nd year's rent,
and 25% of the third year's rent.

I hope this will help. If you have more questions, e-mail me privately.

I have asked Wally Brooks to have me to give a class on piano rentals at the
convention next year. If you want to see that, you might want to give him a
call and ask for it.

Willem Blees  RPT
S.t Louis