bench repairs

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:54:28 -0800 (PST)

Newton,
	I'm not sure how fancy you want to get on the bench repairs but
I'll pass along a suggestion of a  *quick and dirty*  method that I use
sometimes when practicality is more important than appearance and the
attitude is geared more toward holding up the pianist than holding
books, (ie: practice rooms, rentals, 'cheap' customers, etc.).  You
might already use this method, I just thought that I'd pass it along.
	I will open up the bench and remove the bottom masonite board so
that it cannot hold music, but the hardware for the legs is still
accessible from underneath. Make all leg repairs and tighten them down
one final time.  Drill 6 small holes through the lid, one at each corner
and the last two in the middle on the long side.  Screw down the lid top
into the side boards with drywall screws.  You now have durable bench.
	In addition to holding the pianist,  the lid now functions as a
support brace which it didn't before.  Kind of like when you put a roof
on a house the walls are stronger because they help each other.  You no
longer wear out the cheap hinges and the legs stay tighter because they
don't have as much stress anymore.
	Again, I only use this when practicality matters most.  I did a
whole bunch of them a few years ago in several churches and they are all
still holding strong.

PS:  Jim Coleman Jr. told me this one a few years back.

Q:  What's the difference between a piano and a trampoline?

A:  Kids will remove their shoes before jumping on the trampoline !!!

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter