Broken jack springs

Ray Hopland hoplandr@cadvision.com
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 23:08:22 -0600

Larry;

        I agree with all that Avery said about replacing the jack springs.
The only thing that I would suggest to make it go faster is a power
screwdriver for removing and replacing the wippens, and a variable speed
drill to chuck up the reamer to clean the glue out.  You have to be careful
that it dosen't slip and gouge your hand.  When you get the reamer centered
in the hole, give the drill a half turn or so by hand and then slowly apply
the power on the variable speed drill.  After a few you will get the feel of it.

        I believe that the reason the springs break sooner on a small piano
as compared to a large piano is because the action is much more compressed
than a large piano the spring on a small piano compresses 2 thirds of its
length wereas a large piano jack spring will only compress 1 third of its
length.  Simple metal fatigue.

Hope this helps,
Ray