Garlick Seminars

LBeckPiano@aol.com LBeckPiano@aol.com
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:38:02 -0400

I "attended" (was immersed in) Bill Garlick's grand regulating seminar this
past winter.  It was 5 days, and underpriced at $125/day.  This includes
instruction, bed, breakfast, lunch, and taxi service.  Sure, 5 days isn't
enough to become an expert, but I found it very useful.  My background is as
an independent RPT starting to do more in-depth regulating and voicing in
homes, as well as one concert series.  I had regulated pianos before, but it
was step #1, step #2,...without an understanding of the gestalt of the action
cycle, and deep frustration if the specified dimensions didn't work.  After a
week of informal lecture, demonstration, and practice, with time to ask all
the questions that come up in all these learning phases, (and with regular
breaks for tea and cookies)  I feel I have a much better grasp of the
priorities of each regulating job now.  I "know" what kind of work and
results to expect.  Relatively little of what Bill taught had I not heard
before, other than his wealth of detailed knowledge of Steinway design
history, but now I can put it together in real time.  So I would heartily
recommend Bill Garlick's seminars.  There was 1 other student at the seminar
I attended.  Perhaps if the charge were higher, people would have a better
idea of what the instruction is worth.

Lawrence Becker, RPT