stripped S&S hammer flange screws

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 07:40:26 -0500

Dear Richard,

I have encountered institutional Steinways with numerous stripped hammer
flange screws.  I have had excellent results using gap filling super glue
in the hole--just enough to line the threads.  Don't forget to shoot the
screw with McLube, or you may have apermanent installation!  If the first
application of the glue does not hold, try a second.

Good luck,

Charles

>Dear list,
>
>I've encountered a handful of stripped hammer flange screws on a model O. Is
>there any effective method of tightening these up, short of the difficult job
>of replacing the rail itself?
>
>My thanks in advance,
>
>Richard Boyington, RPT
>Chief Staff Technician