Hammer flange rail cloth - Steinway

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:29:00 -0500

Keith,
   I've found from experience that without the cloth there, the
flanges/hammers are much harder to keep aligned to the strings. With
humidity changes, the wood swells and contracts and over a period of time,
as you know, the flanges get looser on the rail and will sometimes shift a
little.
   Since it's a brass rail, I believe the cloth is needed for flange stability.
Just my $0.02.

Avery

>Does anyone have information pro or con on removing the hammer flange rail
>cloth and its effects on the regulation of the action?  (One thing is
>apparent, the relationship of the flanges and its attached parts does
>change with the cloth removed.)
>
>Keith A. McGavern, RPT

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music