Hammer flange rail cloth - Steinway -Reply

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 12:06:03 -0500 (CDT)

>I have understood that the only purpose of the felt or cloth used on
>Steinway hammer rails was to help the flange conform better to the rail.
>I don't think it changes the relationships of the parts appreciably.

Dear Vince, List,

The height of a flange with the cloth removed is considerably lower than a
neighbor flange with the cloth still under it.

My main concern, of course, was if anyone knew whether something in the
regulation would be affected by removing the rail cloth, since there have
been Steinways made both with and without the cloth.

I did do a search in the archives on this subject and it mainly focused on
the rail cloth absorbing the expansion and contraction of the flange
itself.  Interestingly enough, I have never seen a rail cloth on the wippen
rail.  Must be more to this hammer rail cloth than just the expansion and
contraction of the flange itself.  Must be another purpose intended
altogether.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Chapter 731