CAUT

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:17:57 -0500 (CDT)

I may be asked to help a couple of small colleges in the area to
create a 1/2-time or even a full-time piano technician position.
These colleges are having trouble getting work done on their pianos
and may want to conduct a nationwide search for someone to take care
of 100 - 125 pianos at two or three different institutions.

I have worked at the University of Nebraska for several years, but I
don't know what it's like working for smaller colleges or if a
position like the one I described is really viable.

For  those of you that might have some experience along these lines, I
would like to know what kinds of relationships work and what some of
the pitfalls/frustrations might be.

I'm not sure I'll be consulted by the 2 or 3 colleges involved, but if
I am I would like to have some concrete suggestions that would help to
make a successful position, both for the technician and for the
institutions involved.  I, of course, already have a few ideas and I
have the CAUT publication regarding university work.  Any other help
would be appreciated.

Richard West
rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu