CAUT

Barbara E. Richmond brichmon@e-tex.com
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 13:38 -0500 (CDT)

At 08:17 PM 9/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I may be asked to help a couple of small colleges in the area to
>create a 1/2-time or even a full-time piano technician position.
>These colleges are having trouble getting work done on their pianos
>and may want to conduct a nationwide search for someone to take care
>of 100 - 125 pianos at two or three different institutions.

I would certainly say that 100-125 pianos would constitute a full time
position--even more so since they all wouldn't be in one place.  Travel,
hauling equipment and scheduling/meeting college needs between three
locations takes time and could prove to be quite a challenge (especially
meeting those college needs)!  I would think that it would be very important
to have regular (weekly) times set in each location to maintain concert
instruments (doing touch-ups when one could/as needed).  I would also think
that it would be necessary to let everybody know (and agree on) at the
beginning of the venture what limitations there may be on availability,
especially of the last minute sort, of the technician.  I think the position
could be possible with very good planning (in advance) and communication by
both the technician and schools.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
Palestine, Texas