Agraffes

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:42:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Tom Myler wrote:

> (Here we go again)    You didn't tell us which kind of agraffe it was-
> wood, or ABS ?

You've *got* to be kidding!!  A joke, right?

I had the unenviable experience of losing an easy-out tip in an agraffe
shank.  After a sprained wrist, a titanium (?) drill bit and a few hours
of swearing and sweating, I finally managed to *carefully* drill around
the busted easy-out part, extract it, then proceeded to use progresively
larger bits to more or less drill out the agraffe remnant.  At some point,
the remnant decided to cooperate and it drove its way out the bottom of
the plate.  Wish I'd realized that you can (sometimes) go *either* way
with a busted agraffe remnant *long* before all of that easy-out business
messed things up!  YMMV.

Good Luck!

Ron Torrella
Asst. Piano Technician