stripped S&S hammer flange screws

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:16:52 -0600

At 06:07 AM 24/09/96 -0700, Ben Treuhaft wrote:

>If you replace stripped-hole screws with bigger uglier ones, wouldn't
>that terminally screw the holes?
>(rebuttal to John's idea about using oversized flathead screws in
>stripped hammer-rails.)

They are basically the same screws (other than the thickness) that Steinway
used for many years and even the heads are similar in size. While they
aren't pretty like the dome-topped nickel-plated screws of the earlier years
(or the German-type screws with integral washers), the repair works as long
as the wood isn't totally rotten and it's fast. As you mentioned though, it
does introduce the problem of what happens when THEY get stripped.

Oh... and it's not "my" idea... <g>  It was suggested to me by Joe
Biscgelie, former senior factory technical manager at Steinway.

I'm definately not saying this is the right way to fix this or the best
way... it was just a suggestion for a practical and speedy fix when
necessary. Unless the instrument has already been altered I prefer using a
small tapered leather bolster as has already been discussed

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com