Plate Crosspiece

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:03:01 -0400 (EDT)

I remember a thread on the removable Steinway plate strut a while back. It
may have been in reference to prepared piano performance. The strut is in
the way for some of the literature. If memory serves me correctly, the
official word from Steinway was that it is ok to remove the strut if it
lifts out easily. If you have to force it off, don't mess with it. It is
not recommended to keep it off indefinitely. Taking the tension down is an
option but only if the need is absolutely necessary.

For sake of experimentation I went around the building and tried to remove
the struts on all our D's and one C. Only one came off.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College
dmckech@ithaca .edu