Lid Prop andle

William Bailer Wbailer@cris.com
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:49:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Ryan, Philip wrote:

>Hello List:
>
>Enjoyed reading the anecdotes of lid prop failure.  I'm in the process
>of replacing a double lid prop on a rebuilt piano without any former
>marks.  Anyone got a solution for measuring and/or setting the 90 degree
>angle on the prop stick and lid, and also what angle should I use for
>the small prop?  It's never had one before.  (My Junior High school
>protractor is not big enough.  :)
>
>Does the small prop put excessive strain on the lid?
>
>Would love your comments.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phil Ryan
>Miami Beach

Phil,

All props, no matter what length, should be 90 degrees to the lid.  As
for your highschool protractor not being "big enough", size is no
issue--  your highschool protractor is ideal!  Just set the flat side
against lid and sight the stick against it.

"Small props" DO put more strain on the lid, and distorts its shape
more.  On a large (7' or more) the "sag" can be significant, and the
small prop should not be left in place for extended periods of time or
warping may occur--  I've seen it happen.  If you really need to add a
small prop to a large piano, you might consider a SECOND short prop
about half way toward the tail of the rim.  I've seen that on some old
European pianos and it is an excellent solution (if one remembers to use
it).

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer                              wbailer@cris.com
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA                       phone: 716-473-9556
\\\  Interests: acoustics, JSBach, anthropology, piano technology