Agraffe Experience

Brucegang@aol.com Brucegang@aol.com
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 23:34:39 -0400

I had a broken agraffe on a fairly new Steinway M a few years ago.  I arrived
with all the tools I thought I might need after visiting with another
technician more experienced in that repair.  After loosening and removing the
string from the broken off top of the agraffe I prepared to drill, twist,
sweat and suffer after hearing so many stories from various places about the
difficulty sometimes encountered.  To my surprise and pleasure, I was able to
remove the threaded portion of the agraffe in the plate by simply turning it
with a small screwdriver.  It backed all the way out without strain.  New one
installed, fit snugly, string reattached, finished.  Piece of cake, I
thought.  I was lucky!  But I gave thanks anyway.

Gary Bruce, RPT