Voicing with tuning lever

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 23:46:35 -0700 (MST)

Hi Don:

I believe Paul mentioned that just playing a single note, you hear more
resonance.  I have found this to be true.  Even in Db or F#.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS try it, you might like it.  I started out using only very mild Well
temperaments.  I have graduated to a little less mild Well at this time.
I haven't arrived at the place where I can tell what key a piece is
being played in yet, but I do notice an overall resonance improvement,
even in the unfavored keys.

OK, so "I have come out of the closet" on this matter.  I still tune
equal temperament most of the time, but for special customers who can
appreciate it, I tune other temperaments and they now insist upon it
each time. JWC

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Donald E. Mannino wrote:

> Paul N. Bailey wrote:
>
> >Pianos sound better in well temperaments than they do in equal
> temperament. <<
>
> The use of a subjective expression like "better" always raises a red flag to me. What does this mean? You dismiss allotting this to taste a little to easily.
>
> Was it "better" in all keys? What kind of music was being played? Was it more "resonant" in the F# and C# notes along with the Cs and Fs? This wouldn't make sense, at least not to me.
>
> I'd like to suggest that a "better" way to express this would be something like "it sounded better to me and others present," under the circumstances at the time.
>
> There is something to be said for a tuning system that has been so successful for so long. There is also much to be said for the alternatives under some circumstances. But saying emphatically that one makes pianos sound "better" than another is removing
 the possibility of taste from the discussion.