Sluggish dampers

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:20:43 -0600

Dear Friends,

I recently tuned a nice Baldwin Artist grand, about a year old.  I also
tightened all of the plate and action screws, including the damper flange
screws. During my tuning, I noticed that two dampers were sluggish in
returning, so I worked to get them to stop sticking, and they were working
when I left.  The customers were pleased with the tuning, but noticed
several dampers being slow in returning after I tuned the piano.  The
customer thinks that it had something to do with the tuning.  I don't think
it had anything to do with the tuning, but it MAY have something to do with
my tightening the damper screws.

I have a chance to go back and correct this problem on Wednesday.  I am
thinking of lubricating the sluggish damper wires with Protek, and possibly
reaming the guide rail bushings.  Are there other things to try?

Also, can sluggish dampers have anything to do with the humidity?  Some
days the dampers stick, and other days they don't.  Do guide rails change
that much with the humidity?

Thanks!
David

David A. Vanderhoofven       Associate Member, PTG
Joplin, Missouri, USA        e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com

web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
#pianotech page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html