Steinway Crown

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:40:03 -0800

David ilvedson wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am bidding on an Steinway M rebuild, built 1918.  Bearing is about
> perfect, whatever that means.  Not too much maybe about a nickel
> overall.  My concern is the crown.  It has minimal crown taken
> with a thread under the board along the longest rib.  Maybe a
> 16th" in the middle.  The board is pristine, in that it has no
> cracks and I might add it has spent most of its life in
> California.  Normally I go by the tone when evaluating a board.
> This piano has had the plate sprayed with the strings in.  Also
> WD 40 or such has been sprayed on the strings.

If this is really WD 40 on the strings, it will certainly make the
strings tubby sounding.  I've seen two like that and they both sounded
bad particularly in the bass.  As far as the crown is concerned, If the
piano is at A-440 now it will probably be okay if the soundboard is
firmly attached all the way around the rim.  New strings will make a big
difference!

Hope this helps,

Warren

--