Chickering damper wires- Clarification

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 21:51:09 -0500 (EST)

<< When I first approached the piano, I didn't know where to start. I tried
 unscrewing a damper, and it was very hard to get it to turn, and the plate
 was in the way. I wanted to save the heads and old wires (this was a very
 low budget job). I also didn't want to weaken the 100-year-old underlever
 centers. I discovered that once I had loosened the damper tray, etc., and
 taken out the damper guide rail screws, I could JUST slide the whole mess
 out of the action cavity, and take it home to the bench, damper guide rails
 hanging on the wires. It literally rubbed, but it came out. At home, without
 the plate in the way, it was much easier to twist out the wires without
 wrecking anything.

 Good luck!

 Susan Kline >>

Susan,

How did you get the damper action out of the piano? Was it unstrung?

Dale Probst & Elizabeth Ward
Registered Piano Technicians
Ward & Probst, Inc.
Piano & Organ Service