Lawsuits: Broken Plate

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 21:52:24 -0600

I would doubt that this case would be accepted into Small Claims.  In
many states, a specific dollar amount needs to be stated. The owner
needs proof that he paid what he claims, and they usually ask for
that before he can file.   Also too many things have to be proven.
Your friend needen't worry until a summons comes.  If the case is
accepted, the precidence is that a technician who "breaks" something
while attempting to repair it is not liable for damages  if his
actions are within the standards of  practice of his profession, in
other words mal practice. It has to be proven the tech did something
drastic.  Only another technician can do that.  In fact your friend
told the client his instrument couldn't be serviced, and apparently
he was proven right within the hour. If he didn't get paid for his
service call, and replacing the strings, (which is the only thing I
wonder about) he is the one who should be suing.
	I wouldn't be surprised if the owner has already consulted a lawyer
who advised it was a  no win situation, try your luck in Small
Claims. .  The tech can present depositions, but   his best bet is to
take along a technician friend, short of that there is a very
exellent description in Reblitz of pitch raising.  This should be
recognized as an accepted authority.  Published material is the best
"expert witness".  The judge may ask the witness to prove he is a
bone fide member of the trade, so a business card and an ad in the
Yellow Pages at least are a must.  I appeared for another technician
in a case of selling an  "unservicable" piano. We won.
Richard Moody

ps You ever wonder why you don't see so many of those thousands of no
name's that were mass produced?   Their plates broke among other
things, many years ago.

pps  The real "case" here is the poor guy who paid $2,000 (He's gotta
be BSing) for a worthless piece of junk to begin with. He is suing
the wrong party, and loosing his star witness to boot. ( and a chance
for punitive damages).