a Baldwin damper noise

DougHersh@aol.com DougHersh@aol.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 19:16:19 -0500 (EST)

<< A good customer's newly rebuilt 1959 Baldwin L has developed a nasty
 wooden-sounding tic on the first note in the tenor section, located
 somewhere in the damper assembly. (It goes away when the right pedal is
 depressed.) The piano has had substantial daily use for about 2-3 months,
 since the rebuild, and this problem is new.

Susan,
   I think I might know what the problem is. If it is what I'm thinking it is
the front of the damper head clicking against the plate. That is the damper
that is out of alignment with the rest of the dampers because of the plate
strut. With the key depressed try just barely touching the back of the damper
head with a little forward pressure. On a fairly hard blow that damper will
shake back and forth  quicker than you can see it. I suppose if the guide
rail needed bushing it would be worse but I have seen it on brand new high
quality pianos. I hope this helps and I wasn't stating the obvious too much.
Doug Hershberger, RPT