Lawsuits: Broken Plate

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 17:25:18 -0600

At 11:08 AM 4/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>If the situation is as you describe it is most likely that the plate was
>cracted before he got to the piano ...
Newton and list,
	That's more likely than you might think. I've had the misfortune of
hearing that distinctive 'pow' a few times, and in two cases, we found
original 'factory' chalk marks on the backside of the plate. Circles around
pits and cracks and somebody's initials. Must a been a tolerance factor
that allowed these defects to leave the plant. The chalk marks look like
new, even after 60-70 years. Maybe the tuner victim can have the customer
produce the removed plate in court...??? (wishful thinking)

Guy
>Plates are designed with a likely 25% safety factor above the usual 40,000
>pounds of strain placed upon the plate when tuned at A=440.  If a plate
>breaks with far less strain then the plate is faulty.
>
>No other conclusion is even remotedly possible.
>
>        Newton J. Hunt
>        Piano Tuner=Technician
>        RPT for 32 years
>        nhunt@jagat.com

Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"You see, my piano is for me, what a ship is to a sailor; more indeed: it
is my very self, my mother tongue, my life."
					Franz Liszt