Chickering screw in dampers

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 21:53:14 -0500 (EST)

Warren asks, inre the screw in feature of the chickering Dampers;

>why can't you drill the holes in the heads slightly over-sized, put
>epoxy in the hole and just press the damper into position.  Or CA glue
>for that matter.

   I suppose you can, if necessary.  However,  this design was engineered to
allow the careful placement of the head over the strings.  The threaded
aspect of the design allows this to be done by screwing or unscrewing the
damper head to move it left or right.  It allows a very refined damper
regulation.
    The PVC-E glue is my preference, as it not only sizes the holes tight,but
allows a lot of changes to be made without losing it's grip.  If you were to
lock these wires in with CA or other glue,  you will not be able to tip them
back and forth to effect the best damping,  and Chickering grands can be
problematic with the damping,  don't even think about not using springs if
they were there originally.

Regards,
Ed Foote