Dremel Tool

Joseph Vitti JVITTI@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 14:28:03 -0500 (EST)

                       Stony Brook, NY

                                            Joseph Vitti
                                            Concert Technician
                                            03-Apr-1997 02:12pm EST
FROM:  JVITTI
TO:    Remote Addressee                     ( _pianotech@byu.edu )

Subject: Dremel Tool

 Has anyone had experience with using a dremel tool (minimite cordless) to file
hammers? I must confess that I've always placed its use on hammers in the area
of "hack"work. I recently had a set of ugly misshaped Steinway hammers I tired
it on. It really worked very well in "sculpting" a good hammer shape. You can
start up on the shoulder and make a pionted shape without pulling felt from the
bottom. If you use a file stick you'd have a really small hammer by the time
you were finished. It's alot less work for a very good result. I still go over
the hammer with a file stick and then with a strip to shoe shine.  I've also
tried it while fitting hammers to the strings. Seems to work good there as
well.

Jvitti@ccamil.suny.edu