Dremel Tool

DougHersh@aol.com DougHersh@aol.com
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 19:03:06 -0500 (EST)

Joseph Vitti wrote;
<<  Has anyone had experience with using a dremel tool (minimite cordless) to
file
 hammers? I must confess that I've always placed its use on hammers in the
area
 of "hack"work. I recently had a set of ugly misshaped Steinway hammers I
tired
 it on. It really worked very well in "sculpting" a good hammer shape. You
can
 start up on the shoulder and make a pionted shape without pulling felt from
the
 bottom. If you use a file stick you'd have a really small hammer by the time

 you were finished. It's alot less work for a very good result. I still go
over
 the hammer with a file stick and then with a strip to shoe shine.  I've also

 tried it while fitting hammers to the strings. Seems to work good there as
 well.

Joseph and list;
   I have not tried this but I am interested in learning more about it. Can
you explain the kind of attatchment you used? Is the drum or whatever you
used a standard Dremel item or some kind of piano supply item? BTW, I saw
Nick Gravagne use some kind of modified electric meat carver that had been
modified by a technician in the Sacramento area. From the body of the carver
there were two thin flat pieces of metal that came out at angles like this: \
/ with a piece of sandpaper connecting the two metal strips at the top. The
sandpaper was long enough between the two metal strips that it would cover
the hammer. I saw him use this at the 97 California Convention.
Doug Hershberger, RPT