That Grand Damper "Whing"Sound

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 20:34:15 -0800

arnold1@mindspring.com wrote:

> On 1997-04-04pianotech said to arnold1@mindspring.com
>    >Arnold:
>    >When damper felts are first cut, they are rough. In the factory
>    >they do not take the time to smooth them out. Therefore, although
>    >it does take time, the best way to solve this problem is to remove
>    >each damper and sand the sides of the felt. This will eliminate a
>    >lot of the noise.
>    >Willem Blees RPT
>    >St. Louis
>
> Please give me details as to how to do this?  What grit paper would I use,
> and in what direction would I sand so as not to "unravel" or tear the felt,
> or otherwise make it much worse? Would I sand the whole felt, or just along
> the bottom edge?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC, arnold1@mindspring.com
>
> `[1;30;41mNet-Tamer V 1.05.1 - Test Drive

Arnold,

The best to eliminate that noise is to trim the felt just below the
string marks.  That way there is nothing left to make the sound! Use a
pair of short-bladed, very sharp surgical scissors or something similar.
Remove the damper from the piano so you can see what you are doing.  I'm
like you, I wonder about the sanding.  I saw the above method at a
convention class and it's worked very well for me.

Good Luck,

Warren
--
Home of The Humor List