Soundboard Crack

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 22:10:12 -0500 (EST)

>On closer examination, I found a 3 foot crack in the
>>soundboard running along the top of the bridge.  I can see daylight through
>>this baby! How do I fix this and keep the bridge/soundboard relationship
>>strong??  Epoxy?  Is it possible?
>
>Laura:
>
>Please explain how the soundboard can run on top of a bridge. The soundboard
>is under the bridge.
>
>Wim

I suspect that Laura means the crack is in the portion of the soundboard
vertically above the bridge.  (We are talking about a vertical piano, right?)
 Are you finding that this crack allows the board on the bridge side of the
crack to be pressed down lower then the other side?

I think you'd need to repair any board/rib separation (Tightbond ought  to be
fine), and then encourage the use of climate control.  I assume that you're
not considering tearing down the piano and shimming the board.  If all of
your glue joints are solid,  I think the crack itself is more of a cosmetic
concern.

I second David's suggestion that you contact Don Mannino.   (Esp. on a newer
instrument)

Gordon Large, RPT