windings

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 23:15:48 -0700 (MST)

Hi again James:

Schaff used to make aluminum wrapped strings because it was discovered
that you can get better transition across the Bass - Tenor break, but
there was not much market for these and there were only 5 sizes of wrap
that were available. One of the advantages of Aluminum was that it
avoided use of the very smallest copper wraps which had adherance
difficulties. Since a commensurate weight of Aluminum was much thicker,
it adhered to the core wire better. One of the disadvantages was the
small selection of Aluminum wrap sizes. Dave Roberts who wrote the
"Calculating Technician" booklet is responsible for popularizing Aluminum.
He now lives out here in the Phoenix area.  He is a high level Physicist.
When his piano was redone recently, it was unfortunate that aluminum wraps
were no longer available.

Jim Coleman, Sr.