That Grand Damper "Whing"Sound

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 05 Apr 1997 17:58:09 -0500 (EST)

>Please give me details as to how to do this?  What grit paper would I use,
>and in what direction would I sand so as not to "unravel" or tear the felt,
>or otherwise make it much worse? Would I sand the whole felt, or just along
>the bottom edge?  Thanks in advance.

Arnold:

 I had to do this once on a Baldwin C, and I used a fine steel file. I only
did the tri-chords, and bichords. On the Tri's, on the outside of the damper
felt, I sanded down, in other words, from the head, down. In the middle of
the tri's, I sanded accross, from front to back. On the bichords, I also
sanded down.

There is no trick to this, except that you have to be carefull not to sand to
hard. You're not trying to take away a lot of felt, just the roughness of it.
Someone on the list mentioned trimming the bottom of the felt. You might want
to try that also.

Good luck.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis