Sanding Bridges (was Re: Steinway Crown)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 05 Apr 1997 17:44:12 -0600

Tim,

   I haven't had a chance to look for the article yet, so in the meantime,
do you do this sanding by hand or with something like a finishing sander?
I have several of those 'L's coming up here, so I'm just gathering
information. Thanks.

Avery

>  The sustain
>can be increased by removing the old bridge pins, sanding the bridge until
>the string grooves just disappear, renotching (if necessary), and installing
>new bridge pins.  Takes about 4 hours.
>
>Bill Spurlock had an article on this in the Journal.  I've done this several
>times and it works quite well.  I finished rebuilding a S&S L last month with
>very little sustain.  Used the same board, but did this repair.  The piano is
>very live now.  It is already a favorite at the school it belongs to.
>
>Tim Coates
>University of South Dakota

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music