wrong?

Al Jeschke jeschkea@cadvision.com
Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:43:08 -0600

The main reason for loss of tone in iron wound strings is because of
corrosion between the iron winding.  The same holds true for copper wound
strings, except, copper is less quickly to take on corrosion.  If the
winding corrosion is broken up, you will regain most, or at least a good
portion of the lost tone.  There is always some loss of tone as the result
of the increased stiffness and the loss of elasticity of the aging core wire
under tension.

Al Jeschke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
jeschkea@cadvision.com