I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 00:55:32 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

     I also insist on tuning a piano to A-440. I explain that the piano
builders designed the stringing scale (what size & length wire) with a
particular pitch in mind. The stringing scale can't give it's best unless the
TENSION is also correct. Yes? And since I'm giving my pitch raise lesson at
the same time... they NEVER ask me to tune it flat (...I suspect they'd be
afraid to suggest it!).

    Rare is the piano that must be left flat! Most of the time I encounter a
piano that a previous tuner said; "Can't be pulled to concert pitch.", it
seemed to me that the 'tuner' was in too much of a hurry to do his/her job
right. I also make clear on the first contact that a piano that's been
neglected WILL require extra time to tune. It's rarely an issue that the
owner brings up. Generally, they expect to pay a bit more for the first
tuning after a few years (or decades) of non-service.

Exception #1- You find 20 replaced strings in the treble, and the bass is an
ecelctic mix of universal bass, original wire, and odd-looking splices. Duck
and cover!

Exception #2- Piano hasn't been serviced in 70 years (or more). In this case,
I will only pull the 'pitch raise' TO A-440 and not overpull on the first
visit, as I normally would for a pitch raise, to land the piano at A-440. I
will be back in 30 days, and then aim to put the instrument at proper pitch.
(Normally on a pitch raise, you must overshoot the pitch you are aiming
for...I'm saying that I use A-440 as the first setting for my A4 and DO NOT
attempt to yank it above that point... the piano will settle far below this
pitch, but nothing has ever broken from this gentler approach. Well...
rarely.)

Exception #3- Heck, there are always reasons... but they are few and far
between. One thing I've learned about piano servicing is this; It's a
flexible world!

Thanks for your time,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps- As Randy is training many a tech, it's good to see that he favors pianos
being tuned properly. Where they were built & designed to be. Excellent!
:>)
jef