Sanding Bridges

Michael Wathen Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 11:32:10 -0400 (EDT)

I've been thinking about this process as a rebuilding alternative.  What do
you think, does the sanding treatment surpass a bridge cap in improving the
quality of the piano?

If it takes four hours to do this treatment, how does this compare,
realistically with labor for a bridge cap.  I generally don't do the bass
bridge.  My guess for labor on a treble bridge cap is 16 hours.  I'm not
sure because I work for an institution.

Using a cabinet scraper is difficult.  The scraper has a tendency to screw
up the horizontal surface of the bridge.  It is very hard to get even
cutting pressure when pushing it along the bridge. Every time the it dips
into a string groove it changes the way it is cutting.

Here's what I suggest.  Buy a hand power planner it can remove the necessary
amount with no sweat. The last part of the bridge will require a bullnose
plane.  Finally, use a very sharp cabinet scraper to put an extremely smooth
surface on the bridge.

Cabinet scrapers are rectangular thin pieces of metal.  They are very tricky
to sharpen but if you do it right it surpasses sandpaper in smoothness.  In
fact, I have heard it said that sandpaper is relatively new and that cabinet
scrapers were the grunt tool for finishers.

Michael J. Wathen			Phone:	513-556-9565
Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
University of Cincinnati