restringing and rosin

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 18:03:07 -0700

Avery Todd wrote:

> Warren & Sam,
>
>    A question. Since the hole is tapered, would it be better to use a
> regular drill bit to remove the wood instead of a reamer? Just curious.
>
> Avery

Avery, the problem with a regular bit is that it could wobble or chatter
going into a hole, which would open the diameter of the hole too much
leaving little wood contact with the pin.  Regular bits are designed to
make holes not enlarge them even though we use them that way often.  A
spoon bit, on the other hand follows the original hole and gradually
shaves off wood until it fits.

Good question!

Warren
--