bridges/seating

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 21:02:52 +0000

>  Ron Nossaman wrote, answering Marcel Carey of Sherbrooke, QC:
>
>  > I don't think
>  > it's possible for a string, with measurable positive bearing, to ride up a
> pin (against
>  > tension), slanted to force the string down on the bridge (against side
> bearing), and
>  > stay there until someone knocks it back down where it belongs.

Ron,

I, too, was very skeptical of this until a colleague did a demonstration at a PTG chapter
meeting. He put a wire-handled mute between two strings in the treble and lightly tapped
one of those strings at a 45-degree angle just in front of the bridge. The mute changed
angle about 10 degrees. It's hard to see the string move but you can't miss what the mute
does when the string settles!

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, California