restringing and rosin

lenny lenny@stic.net
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:27:51 -0500

Sam,
          I use powered rosin that comes ina small bag sold at most sports
stores and is use in baseball for rubbing down baseball bats for better
grip and is also used in other sports for various reasons.  I brake open
the bag ond pour the rosin into a plastic jar with a tight lid, and when
pinning I roll the pin in the powdered rosin before driving the pin into
the pinblock.

Leonard (Lenny) Childs, RPT
Childs Piano Servive
San Antonio, TX
lenny@stic.net

----------
> From: Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols <nicho@lascruces.com>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: restringing and rosin
> Date: Saturday, April 05, 1997 4:12 PM
>
> At 04:40 PM 4/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
> Sam,
> 	I use the Garfield Pin Block Restorer as a lube when installing new pins
> in old blocks. In our climate, it's a big help  against the dryness. For
> lube, I only thin it down about 25% (w/methanol). 50% for pin tightening.
>

> >I am about to restring a Chickering grand. The block is good, and I
intend to
> >use 4/0 pins. I was set to ream for new pins, when I noticed the holes
are
> >tapered so as to get tighter the further down you drive them. The reamer
> >have, a spoon bit, would eliminate that taper. Something I hesitate to
do.
> >But the real question is this: I have heard that a bit of rosin on each
pin
> >goes along way to eliminating creaky or jumpy pins. Does anyone know
what
> >kind of rosin to use, and where to get it? I would also appreciate an
opinion
> >on the benefit or detriment of reaming these tapered holes. Much
appreciated.
> >Regards, Sam Grossner, chicago.
> >

> Guy Nichols, RPT
> nicho@lascruces.com
> 	"You see, my piano is for me, what a ship is to a sailor; more indeed:
it