1864-ish Chickering,values

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 12:44:05 -0500

List,
	Had great fun evaluating a Chickering 7'6" Rosewood grand last night. It's
been out here in the dry forever, and has the original tenor and treble
wires. The bass have been replaced(with steel wound) in the far past, and
the action is all original. The case needs about four hours of minor veneer
repair and touch-up, and otherwise is fantastic.
	I was amazed at the predecessor of the rep lever in this beast. Hard to
describe, and was operated by a butterfly! Good downbearing over 90% of the
bridges, and very few MINOR cracks in the board. Not overstrung, of course,
and the plate went all the way around the rim. Half-step flat(EVENLY!), and
sustain at the lowest plain wire was 30 seconds. Pins a little loose, not
badbadbad.
	Anyway, I know this is an incomplete description, but thought I'd see if
the list could cough up some ballpark values from around .....elsewhere.
	As an antique, the local experts give it about 8--10 thousand tops. It's
not far off from being a real piano, although the reps are a bit....un-modern.
	Any ideas????
		ThanksThanksThanksThanksThanks. Did I remember to say Thankyou?
guy
Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he
sings."