Jumping Pins

DICK BEATON rbeaton@initco.net
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 14:30:48 -0600

You can't afford to spend all that time on each pin!  Try lowering the
pitch and turn the pin back and forth 15 or 20 degrees a few times slowly
to avoid overheating .. and then raise it back to where you want it. If
that doesn't work, you may just have to fight it!  Repinning would cost
more than the piano's value.  Good luck....
Dick RPT
----------
> From: Pianotoone@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Jumping Pins
> Date: Tuesday, April 08, 1997 12:12 PM
>
> The piano is a Kohler & Campbell spinet.  25 years old.
>
> Strings, hammers, dampers and cosmetically the piano is in excellent
> condition (for a PSO).  It hasn't been used much.
>
> However it is untunable because every tuning pin above the bass section
is
> jumpy.
>
> The size of the pins is #2.  I tried chalk.
> I replaced one pin with a #3 after reaming out the hole with a #3 reamer.
>  Helped only slightly.
>
> I replaced another pin with a #4 after reaming out with a #4.  This
seemed to
> be less jumpy but turned really hard.
>
> I think replacing the pinblock is not an option due to cost.  But seems a
> shame to junk the instrument when the rest is in such good shape.
>
> I have heard of
> 1.  Putting varnish in the pinholes.
> 2.  Swabbing out with naptha.
>
> What does the list suggest?  I told my customer I was going to the
internet
> to do some research, so we are both anxiously awaiting the wisdom of the
> august body.  Many thanks from "where the heck is spring gone to
Michigan."