wrong?

Stan Kroeker skroeker@MTS.Net
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 17:08:30 -0600

>My further query is why would iron, not steel,
>wound strings sound very good at first but change to losing their tone.  Is
>it because of tarnish that would settle in on soft iron very quickly or
>some other reason?
>thanks,
>James Grebe

Dear list,

The ostensible causes of tone deterioration on iron wound strings as well
as many low-tech restorative procedures have been discussed by resourceful
technicians for years.  I, together with Innoclean Technologies of
Winnipeg, have been experimenting with ultrasound cleaning of these 'tubby'
sounding iron wound strings over the past two years, with encouraging
results.

The process involves placing the entire set of strings (removed from the
piano, of course, and threaded on leaders at the hitch pin and coil ends)
in a water bath surrounded by ultrasound transducers, zapping them for a
few minutes, then drying overnight in a special low-heat oven.  I got the
idea from an electronics technician whose company uses this process to
clean dirty electronic gear (they will actually immerse an entire VCR in
the tank, which cleans all the PC boards, connectors, etc, but leaves the
tape transport mechanism grease track untouched).

Each set of tubby, iron wound strings we have cleaned in this manner has
improved significantly (difficult to quantify this improvement in written
form though) at a fraction of the cost of new custom-wound strings.  We now
offer this service to our clients as a means of bringing good value to an
older instrument that may not be worth the higher cost of replacement
parts.

Best regards to all from the blizzard bound Canadian prairie,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician

Kroeker & Sons Piano Experts
59 Quiring