String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 05:46:59 -0700 (MST)

IMHO the reason there is less string breakage when one lowers the pitch
is that when you do bring it up with more confidence, you pass quickly
over the former place of corrosion. It has been my practice to use the
impact method of tuning hammer technique and especially on vertical
pianos the first stress on the tuning pin is downward counteracted by
the immediate turning of the pin.  As the pin springs back the string is
tightened.  The tightening of the string occurs during the spring back
instead of during the turning. Another consideration is that when one
uses a smooth pull technique, there is greater tension over a longer
period of time as one overcomes the frictional resistance, thereby
causing more breakage. String breakage has come almost to
a standstill since adopting the impact method. The same forces are at
work on a Grand if one tunes from the 9:00 O'clock position using the
impact method.  I usually do not change position for grands, but rely on
the sudden movement of the impact method.

Jim Coleman, Sr.