I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 22:01:39 -0500

David ilvedson wrote:

> Hi Norm,
>
> I really don't worry so much about breaking strings but rather
> having to lower the pitch on the second pass.

It is kind of a mystery to me and interesting that if a string breaks
while tuning, it is usually at the point that the string leaves the
tuning pin. This suggests that it is caused somehow by technique and I
khow that lowering the tension first reduces the breakage. I have been
told that it is caused by a seal formed where the string leaves the pin
but if that is the case, how does this create the stress to break the
string when you pull it up?

Norm Barrett