tubby bass

Stan Kroeker skroeker@MTS.Net
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 22:34:31 -0600

>Your labor costs must be fairly high, no? While you may be saving
>on materials aren't you actually spending more time doing this than
>the three hours it would take to replace the set?
>Dave,

Actually, all things considered, the labor costs are roughly the same (or
less if the piano is being repinned at the same time).  Mention was made in
a recent thread of bass strings made by GC Piano in Scarborough (Toronto)
Ontario.  Danny Vigneaux, the owner and string making guru charges us $5.25
(Canadian) each for these superior strings.  On a 45 string set, including
shipping, my cost is around $250.00. If I retail them at a 40% mark-up (I
am not saying I do, for those of you south of the border who are worried
about anti-trust violations) the customer's cost for the parts alone would
be $350.00.  Compare to a similar mark-up on the ultrasound procedure at a
retail cost of about $100.00 I would say "been there, still doing that".

By the way, I love the anecdote about freezing the strings!  I am just in
the process of digging out of a 42 cm (17 inch) snowfall accumulation after
the weekend blizzard.  Maybe I can make the best of this situation yet!

Best regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician

Kroeker & Sons Piano Experts