bass strings

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 09:19:16 -0400 (EDT)

<< I have one Kawai KG-8C that gets broken strings (top
 section) when you lower the tension, even the small amount of moving during
 regular tunings.  Anyone heard of that?

I broke a bass string once that way.  I was learning tuning in the 1950's and
was practicing on the 60-year-old McPhail upright I had learned to play on.
 I lowered one of the bass strings in preparation for pulling it up, and pow!
 It let go in the usual place, where the string enters the coil.

I assume in that case it was a combination of rust and the metal fatigue from
bending/unbending at that point during previous tunings.

Bill Maxim, RPT